Routine maintenance of your pool is critical to the enjoyment of your pool. Even if you employ a service company to maintain your pool, there are steps that you need to take to ensure your pool is swim ready at all times:
- Skim the surface: This should be done every few days. When debris falls to the bottom it can be harder to remove, so be sure to remove debris before it sinks to the bottom.
- Empty the baskets: This will help lower the need for chlorine, thus saving you money. This task should be performed at least once per week and it may help to spray out and scrub the basket as well.
- Maintain the water level: A lot of water is lost from your pool regularly. Whether it is due to evaporation or splashing and swimming, it is important to check the water levels regularly so they don’t get to low and compromise the pump. If levels do get low, you can quite simply use your garden hose to fill it back up.
- Scrub the walls: Be sure to scrub the walls regularly to prevent calcium deposits and algae buildup. The kind of pool you have will dictate what kind of brush to use. For example, a stiffer brush can be used with a concrete pool, but if you have a fiberglass pool you should use a softer brush.
- Check the pH: Make sure the pH in the water is between 7.2 and 7.8 to ensure safety for swimmers and that sanitizers are working.